"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act, making your righteousness shine like the dawn, your justice like the noonday." ~Psalm 37:5-6

Saturday, January 7, 2012

My (Golden) Birthday in the Gambia! ...and Child Nutrition Field Work


For the past 25 years I have been waiting for this day to come. My sisters celebrated theirs at the ages of 9 and 18, but I have been waiting, patiently, to experience it for myself--a golden birthday.

I had the privilege of celebrating my birthday with my host family here in The Gambia, and my friend from graduate school, Kate, who flew in from Cameroon where she's conducting her doctoral research (she was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cameroon prior to beginning her doctoral program). Together, Kate and I shared this piece of American culture (Birthday celebrations) with my host family. 

Kate and I on a Beach in Kombo
Looking at a Magazine with my Siblings
We baked cupcakes and lit "Re-Lighting Party Candles". Although we thought the re-lighting candles would be more humorous and enjoyable for all to watch, after blowing them out 3x (unsuccessfully) it actually ended up getting a bit embarrassing.
In addition, my host sister made baobab juice (made from baobob trees-my favorite African tree). 

Cupcakes and Baobab Juice
 Kate and I handed out cupcakes (with cherries on top) and baobab juice to all my family members. 



Offering a Cupcake to My Host Father, Alhagie

My Family, Kate, and I

Alhagie Presenting a Birthday Present to Me

Altogether, it was a GREAT Birthday. My family refrained from inviting the whole village and having dancing (as would have been custom).  I couldn't have asked for a better African Birthday. Thank you Kate and my Gambian family for making my Golden Birthday...GOLDEN! :)


Child Nutrition Field Work

Being that Kate has a background in nutrition, we were able to develop a list of anthropometric variables (Height, Weight, Age, Mid-Upper Arm Circumference, etc) to collect from the malnourished children in my area. The intent is to develop graphs that will be useful for the health professionals and regional health office in my area.

Omar and I are Waiting for a Mother to Bring her Malnourished Child

Recording Data of a Malnourished Child
In addition to collecting data of the malnourished children, we also distributed Plumpy Nut to help supplement the children's diets, to improve the nutritional status of the children.

Omar, a Village Health Worker, and I Walking Through Village

Recording Data and Giving Advice on how to Improve the Nutritional Status of the Child
Distributing Plumpy Nut


 Well, that's the field work I've been up to lately!  Apart from field work, I've been working a lot in the Peace Corps office, in Kombo, and preparing for my multiple trips to Senegal: 
  • Jan 10-14 (Learn about PC/Senegal projects that could be replicated here in The Gambia)
  • Feb 12-19 (Prepare for the upcoming training of new health and environment volunteers)
  • Mar 6-Apr 22 (Help facilitate training of new volunteers)

It's Been One Year!

Lastly, January 6th marked the 1-year anniversary of me being here in The Gambia.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work!! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, Happy Birthday and congratulations on a year of GREAT work! I think and pray for you often and wait to see you again in person! Miss you alot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Dawn! I'm here in Accra, Ghana thinking about you! Many blessings to you as you continue to work there in The Gambia! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete