"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act, making your righteousness shine like the dawn, your justice like the noonday." ~Psalm 37:5-6

Friday, January 14, 2011

Training Village- Living by Candlelight

Sallamaalekum!
I am currently living in my Training Village learning the Mandinka language. My host family, of whose house is attached to my house is amazing! My house is huge- 2 large rooms! Let’s just say that I feel spoiled! My family consists of the husband and 1 wife (I must distinguish between numbers of wives as polygamy is allowed here), 1 girl, and 4 young boys that are eager for me to learn their language, Mandinka. I’m very glad that my family members know very little English because this has, and will continue to, force me to learn Mandinka so as to communicate with them.

I  go to bed and wake up attempting my Mandinka greetings, as that is all I’ve learned so far.  Yeah…let’s just say that I’m going to be corrected often!  And I will be saying the words, “Mandinka akon naadi” often, asking, “How do you say this in Mandinka.”

I’m having a great time, learning much. I’m sure as we get into the swing of things, with a set schedule of language and culture lessons (I’m in a group of 4 volunteers assigned to a language and culture facilitator, LCF) that I will have more to say.  Until then, I shall continue living the Gambian life without electricity, running water, or toilets.

What a great and humbling experience I’m having. God, help me to learn this language! But as they say here, “I’m on it slowly slowly.”   J

Written by candlelight,

10 comments:

  1. DAWN!!!!

    I'm proud of you buddy! Jesus got this thing, keep leaning on him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn, glad you started a blog. Will be great to keep up with you this way! :) Praying for your safety and health and that God would use you to be a witness for Him with your fellow PC members and with all the Gambians you are in contact with. Blessings! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to be bilingual when you return to the states! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes...the fun has begun! And of course I know that God, your humor, and positive attitude will continue to sustain you. I got back from CA yesterday and now preparing for my departure to Cameroon next week! Yikes! We have to connect before I leave...

    Miss you,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss hearing from you!!!!!!! Hope you're doing well and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn. Glad to read that you are ok. Stay strong and remember to have a little fun while ur there. So, Peace Corps has offered me the job of a health promoter in GUATEMALA. I leave in April!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dawn, Am glad to see a blog from you, praying for health, peace, strength, encouragement, wisdom, and opportunities to share with some that do know English better. Love Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this note from Dawn.

    hi, i was told i can send u an e-mail on my phone so we will see. I miss u much and
    love u so much. I have only 2 wks left in training village and then will have 3 days
    visiting my site placement in Niumi Lamin. Then back to city where pc office for a wk to
    buy suplies then swear-in march 11 then move to site march 17th i thnk. Language going
    better. Slowly slowly. I love u and miss u much. things going great! Thank u 4 letters
    and pkgs!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another note from Dawn

    today is independence day here in The Gambia. No school or work for anyone except us
    trainees. :) How is the land of snow? It's been hi 60s in the am then 80s or hotter in
    afternoons, so it's stange reading letters talking about snow. The other day i helped
    teach a handwashing lesson in a Manjago village. This ethnic group is christian and known
    4 their drunkards,as islam strictly forbids alcohol. So sad and frustrating to c
    Christianity generalized in this way. BUT it fe

    It ends there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol-Thanks Dad for posting the updates I was able to text you when without internet! :) Thank you all for reading my blog. I'll try to keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete