"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act, making your righteousness shine like the dawn, your justice like the noonday." ~Psalm 37:5-6

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Greatest Blessing

Less Rainfall = Less Crop Yield = Hunger
Due to last year's little rainfall, The Gambia is experiencing pockets of famine (as are many countries in Africa). As a result, both crops and trees produced significantly less this year. While the majority of families in my village have not been affected by this drought, one family very dear to my heart is struggling. Nyagis is the pastor of my church and the only Christian family in my village. He and his family work as palm oil producers; therefore, they are dependent upon palm fruit to make a living. Because of the palm fruit this year, Nyagis and his family have been struggling financially. And because of the poor rice yield they ran out of rice two months ago and were forced to use the rest of their money for food. So now the rice is gone and money is gone, and they have to borrow money from other villagers to make ends meet.

Last year Nyagis invested in building a fence around the land he owns near the church, hoping to be able to produce a crop to sell for profit, to provide for his family's needs. He plowed it and planted seed. Unfortunately, termites came and weakened the fence posts, allowing for animals to enter and destroy the crop. Without this crop he would not be prepared for famine that has come to plague him and his family.

Termite-Caused Fallen Fence Prevents Use of Land
The Greatest Blessing I've Received
Since I arrived in this country, Nyagis and his family have been my only source of Christian community. I have had Bible studies with them, prayed with them, joined them in walking the 30 minute walk between our village and the next village where the church is located. I've received threats of being beaten and looks of disapproval from villagers for being friends with them.

But more than all of this, I have been blessed by this family. Their unwavering faith in Christ despite 1) Their rice plot being taken from them two years in a row, 2) Being charged 3x as much for plowing than others, and 3) Receiving 1/3 the crop of their idol worshipping relatives.

No matter what the situation, they refuse to turn from their faith in God. They refuse to turn to idol worship or to convert to Islam, two actions that would seemingly make life easier for them. Instead, they choose to believe that God hears their prayer, that He sees their faithfulness, and that He will do the impossible and provide his family with a blessing. I don't know about you, but seeing this family's faith and determination to live a life of righteousness strengthens my faith.

I Want to Help Bring a Blessing to This Family
When resources run out, sometimes all it takes is an opportunity to get ahead. And I believe a metal fence is all it will take. I want to make this fence possible.
 
Nyagis Has Dreams of These Weeds Being Replaced by Cassava, Watermelon, and Beans
Will You Join Me in Being a Blessing?
I am asking that you seriously consider joining me in being a blessing to this family that has been a blessing to me. And if you want, tell others about this opportunity as well. The cost of this 300m perimeter fence is $2000. 

Donations can be given by following this link: http://fnd.us/c/3LWt4

Together let's provide Nyagis and his family with a miracle, the greasted blessing possible for them at this time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment